quarta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2013

Axum - Vancouver

What do you think when you hear about "Ethiopian food"? Well, me, I didn't have any idea of what people were talking about. Even after I was comfortably seated at the Axum restaurant I was still a little bit puzzled, so much so that I made a few faux pas before I learned the right way to eat there. Anyways, the important thing is the food, and the food is great at Axum.

Axum is an omnivore restaurant, but all the vegetarian options are 100% vegan. They serve many kinds of a creamy foods that you should eat with your hands, using an "injera" a kind of sour taste rolled  pancake. The first time I was there, noticing there weren't any forks or knives at the table, I went to ask for that at the counter. I was given a strange look, and only one fork. When I served myself (it was all-you-can-eat-buffet day), I poured one of the creams all over the injeras. Everyone at the table rolled their eyes when they saw my plate. Well, I'm exagerating when I say "creamy" food. It's something between soft solid and creamy, as you can see in the pictures.

Two paragraphs and I still haven't said anything useful about the food, eh? What if I say they serve "Miser wot", "tikil gomen" "kik alicha" and "atkilt"? Translated... : yellow split pea simmered with mild sauce, split lentils simmered in spicy hot sauces, portobello mushrooms marinated and sautéed with onion, garlic, pepper, fresh tomato, herb and spices. And a couple of other dishes.



Yes, as you can notice, most of the dishes are hot and spicy, so have a glass of water close. Eating at Axum is certainly both a cultural and gastronomical experience you won't forget so soon.


What: Axum
Category: Omnivore
Where1279 E Hastings St, Vancouver, BC V6A 1S4, Canada
When : open everyday, from 12:00 to 11:00pm.
Phone: 
604-253-2986





O que você pensa quando ouve falar em "cozinha etíope"? Pois é, eu também não tinha a mínima ideia do que seria isso. E mesmo depois de já estar sentadinho no restaurante Axum, em Vancouver, na parte menos nobre da rua Hastings, ainda tinha minhas dúvidas, tanto que cometi algumas gafes,até aprender o jeito certo de comer. Mas no fim das contas o que importa mesmo é a comida, e essa é muito boa.



Axum é onívoro, mas as opções vegetarianas são 100% veganas. As comidas são meio cremosas e devem ser comidas com as mãos, usando a "injera" uma espécie de panqueca enrolada meio azedinha. Na primeira vez que comi lá, notando a ausência de talheres, fui no balcão pedir garfo e faca. Depois de me olharem estranho, me deram um garfo, e só. Depois me servi dos cremes e derramei um monte em cima da tal panqueca enrolada, pra comer cortando-a com o garfo (pois não havia faca), como uma panqueca brasileira comum. No fim eu estava era sujando, e inutilizando a ferramenta que usaria pra comer. Os olhares de desaprovação dos outros comensais na mesa não foram suficientes pra eu perceber o tamanho da gafe que estava cometendo.



Ok, já usei dois parágrafos e nada ainda de explicar sobre a tal comida etíope. Os nomes dos pratos precisam de tradução: "Miser wot", "tikil gomen" "kik alicha" and "atkilt". Que tal ervilha amarela cozida com molho leve, lentilhas cozidas em molhos quentes picantes, cogumelo portobello marinado e salteado com alho, cebola, pimenta, tomate fresco, ervas e especiarias? Há ainda pratos com espinafre, cenoura e repolho refogado. Sim, dá pra notar que as comidas lá são bastante apimentadas, então já deixe um copo dágua por perto em caso de emergência.


O que: Axum
Ciategory: Onívoro
Onde1279 E Hastings St, Vancouver, BC V6A 1S4, Canada
Quando: todos os dias, do mei-dia às 23h
Fone604-253-2986 


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário